Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Moms Breakfast Bake recipe

does absence make the heart grow fonder? ive been SOOO busy lately with everything BUT sewing. i know ill find my machine again....one day soon right?here is a little dish i made last night, put in the fridge then had mr. vegasmom toss it in the oven early this morning. i woke up to my alarm and a big wiff of YUMMO! yes, im lazy and use paper plates! teehee

we LOVE to make breakfast dishes in my house. this dish is one of my absolute FAVS my mom used to make. but she only made it on special occasions, like christmas morning, easter morning etc.....the funny thing is i know why....because you make it the night before and all you do in the morning is toss it in the oven. so in honor of mothers day and my mom.....im sharing this recipe with you. isnt she adorable??
Junies Egg Strata

3 cups croutons---i use the larger ones and sometimes use around 4 cups

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 roll jimmy dean sausage-browned and crumbled

8 eggs (have used 9 if i add more croutons)

2 1/2 cups milk

3/4 tsp dry mustard


layer in a cake pan first 3 ingreds. croutons, cheese, sausage.

mix the eggs, milk and mustard well, pour over top of the ingredients already in pan. refridgerate overnight covered with foil.


Bake 350 for 1hour. (my oven sometimes takes 1 1/2hrs). ive baked it covered and not covered too.....just make sure and uncover it for the last 15mn or so for browning.


that smell on christmas morning always takes me back to those times of childhood. hugging your favorite new toy, running around the house all giddy while wearing your new jammies, and the smell of mom "baking" in the kitchen. ahhhh good times.

i hope you all try this and enjoy it! its great for having company too.....isnt that right HEIDI?

6 comments:

Kim said...

I think everyone's mom must only have made this at a Holiday.. LOL I have served it and now my girls serve it as well! So Yummy.. only difference is we use day old bread.

Great Stuff....

Maria said...

Oh it looks Yummo, will try it. Thanks for sharing Bobbi

Heidi said...

YUMMY - I think I can actually smell it! I'm hungry for it now.

Val said...

Oh this sounds wonderful and easy too! I will have to try this for sure. I am going to catch up on your posts that I haven't read. I am trying to visit more blogs like I use to before Granny passed away.

merrily row said...

The breakfast bake sounds great. We are vegetarians, if I leave out the sausage, would I still use all the mustard?

prashant said...

Thanks for sharing Bobbi
post free classified ads