Sunday, January 2, 2011

S.E.W block tutorial


Do you all want to make one of these??? I did a tutorial to show you how :)

List of supplies needed: (i got everything at michaels)
4 pack of 8x8 scrap booking frames
3 sheets of scrapbook paper
wood letters (they are about 5 inches)
paint for letters and a paint sponge (or a can of spray paint)
gorilla super glue


Lets get started. First, cut your scrapbook paper down to 8x8. Or you can also buy 8x8 sheets.


this is what the frames looked like before i tore into them. remove the pretty picture of some random model you don't even know. :)

put your scrapbook paper inside, making sure to align your design with how it will hang.

i forgot to take a decent picture of how the letters looked before painting.....but here is a back shot of my letter S so you can see how big they are.
i used this little container of paint. the color is "lush foliage". Think how cute hot pink would be? oh my.....the possibilities are endless.

now i will tell you.....after putting 3 coats on these letters, i thought to myself "yeah, that would've been MUCH easier to just spray paint these puppies". but hey, some extra elbow grease went into them. I'm just not very patient waiting for paint to dry.
tip: paint a coat on the letters first, then go work on frames. it passes the time. LOL

paper plates are my favorite things to use for painting. no messy newspaper and the letters didn't even stick to the plate.

ok....so after they are dry, i sanded the edges to look a little distressed. I used some sturdy gorilla superglue and glued them right onto the glass. see my little ruler to the right, it worked perfect to make sure they were centered. i measured them before gluing, because that stuff dries quickly. I love the 3D effect of the block coming out of the frame.

again, make sure you have the frame in the correct position before gluing......you would hate to glue them upside down. although the S would work either way. LOL

glue all 3 and you are done! easy peasy.


VIOLA!!! a pretty simple design for your craft room wall.
just think of all the possibilities!!! you could do this in a child's room with their name, in a kitchen with coffee paper/fabric and letters and teh words JAVA..... the list goes on and on and on.
have a great week and start of our New Year--2011.

7 comments:

Poppyprint said...

Thanks for this super-excellent idea! Sadly, my sewing room doesn't have any more wall space, but I'll keep this idea in my back pocket for another location - I like it!

Mary Grace McNamara said...

What a great idea! This would really be cute used for names in a child's room like you said, or at Christmas time for words like JOY or PEACE and using Christmas paper in the background with red or green frames. You're right, the list is endless! Very creative!

MGM

AllieKatMom said...

This is great, I am going to try this!

Diane said...

Cute! I have to think about where I might be able to use this.

Linda said...

Oh, I like this alot. I'm gonna have to try this out. Thanks for the great tutorial! I'm putting this on my to do list now! Maybe for a Friday night sew in! Happy New Year!!!!

Impera Magna said...

Excellent... both the idea and the tutorial! I can see this happening sometime...

Tanya said...

I love that! Totally gonna do it.