Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pile O' Patterns

do you all have one of these?  a big ole pile of patterns, tutorials and freebies from the moda bakeshop?

I spent my last day of vacation organizing my MOM CAVE.  all i have left is that big pile of papers on the floor.  i have binders, but im not sure thats suiting me.  what do you all use for your patterns?

i needed a different sewing area, because im in the quilt making mode and i cant sew against a wall.  what do you do when your quilt starts bunching up against the wall?

i have an extra chair.....anyone want to come over and fondle fabric? 


of course i had to toss in a few more vacation photos.  look at this beauty? doesn't it almost look fake?  LOL
i believe this waterfall is called "bird woman falls" or something close.  (going off memory)

here are my fellas.....cute as ever.  check out those raging rapids behind them.  my hubby is a bit of a daredevil and likes to get CLOSE to the edges.  he almost gave me a heart attack on this one.  but after all of these years, i trust him.  he hasn't gone over the edge yet.  :)

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Count me in! I'll have a seat!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I have a combination of binders and files. Quilt patterns are in binders, other projects are in small file boxes I get at target that have a hinged lid. They are categorized, like aprons, bags, baby, kitchen, home decor etc. It works for me.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Binders work for all the freebies you print offline, and then smaller boxes or baskets for the patterns in envelopes. Or if you group your binders, you can use the clear page protectors as pockets for the patterns in envelopes so you can keep ALL you categories together.

LesQuilts said...

Hi! I have one of those cardboard accordian files for my loose papers from downloaded patterns, pictures of ideas for future quilts.
I keep my sewing table about 2 inches from the wall, then the fabric doesn't get bunched up behind the machine and affect your tension.
I also do my machine quilting on the dining room table. I set up my domestic machine, my sewing table, all my thread, needles, etc, turn on some relaxing music, and let the machine do it's work!
If the quilt is not queen size, I'm usually done in a few hours and no bulky quilt against the inside of the sewing machine arm...
If it is queen, then a little more bunching and I ask hubby to hold the far edge of the quilt as I free motion quilt.
Good luck, Take care, Leslie

Diane said...

I end up looking at them and deciding that most I realy will nover use and throw them away... and I have a magazine holder that I stick in any I want to keep... Regarding the wall, I read somewhere that to FMQ you want the wall there so the quilt does not pull as it falls to the floor?

Val said...

Just wanted to let you know that I was missing in action the night of the FNSI but I still am always encouraged by you and Heidi!

Linda said...

I'm loving the pictures of your vacation. Beautiful pics, it really makes me want to go. I thought the pic of you waving from the raft was hilarious...My question is who took the picture? As far as that being on MY bucket list, it will never happen. I am scared to death of white water rapids like that. I'll be the one taking the pics. Your quilts are so cute and I just love the chubby bags.

I keep my printouts in binders and I try to stay organized. I have them under quilts, bags, pincushions, etc. Now, for patterns that are in plastic bags smaller than 8 1/2" x 11', I buy those photo keeper boxes. You know the ones we used to have when everyone printed their pictures out instead of leaving them on their phones or computers???? Anyway, I have photo boxes and I throw my patterns in those. I try to cull out after awhile and give to the guild or small group patterns I don't think I'll use as door prize drawings. As for quilting, I also use my sewing machine on the kitchen table so the quilt will be supported. See you at the next FNSI.